At present, therapies involving magic mushrooms are presently being studied as a potential treatment for a range of mental health conditions including substance abuse disorders, anxiety and depression.
“Numinus is setting the stage — and establishing its leadership position – for a future state where psychedelic-assisted psychotherapies are approved for clinical use outside of research. We are progressing on our mission right now by creating the infrastructure and advancing evidence-based research to support routine clinical use in the health care system. We have the infrastructure, licenses, resources, and expertise to help hasten evidence-based accessibility to these treatments so we can, ultimately, help people heal and be well,” according to Payton Nyquvest, founder, CEO, and board chair for Numinus.
The company’s vertically integrated ecosystem puts them in a first-in-market, trusted leadership position for the delivery of psychedelic-assisted psychotherapies when the market receives the regulatory nod. Numinus will have an entire ecosystem set up from product development and supply to analytics and testing to clinical protocol development and implementation science and partnerships with research organizations. They will be able to capitalize on quality control, delivery and enjoy steady revenue streams to support alternative developments.
Numinus intends to cultivate and harvest mushrooms for a number of different purposes, including:
- Development of standardized extraction methods
- Exploration of product formulations of naturally occurring psilocybin
- Development and evaluation of qualitative and quantitative mycochemicals standardized test methodologies
- Exploration of the ability to investigate naturally occurring psilocybin’s efficacy as an alternative supply to synthetic psilocybin currently used in research
- Ultimately, the delivery of safe, evidence-based psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy at clinics including its own
“We are thrilled to start growing mushrooms at our laboratory under our Health Canada licence. We envision a day when the option of natural, plant-based psilocybin is available for use in therapies at Numinus Clinics and by others, and this is a tangible step towards that goal,” said Michael Tan, chief operating officer.