Typical. Not one to let an opportunity pass by without grabbing another damn asset, Marc Lustig at CannaRoyalty (formerly Cannabis Royalties) today announced his company’s debut on the CSE with a side note: Oh yeah, we’ve also taken out 70% of DermaLeaf skin products.
Sure. Why not? You also hit the CSE with a $133 million valuation right out of the gate, with almost $5 million in trading volume early, so what’s a little last minute asset grabbing going to hurt?
While Canada’s creaking financial data system is making it tough for some folks to find the CRZ.C new stock on their trading platforms, those that have are buying in, and at the valuation of the company’s last raise. The stock opened the show at a generous $5 per share before eventually finding the $3.75 base it sits at at the time of writing.
In terms of the the 70% DermaLeaf purchase, the company describes that asset as targeting “a growing market for topical, cannabis-infused skincare and health and beauty products.”
It continues, “DermaLeaf’s formula combines fibroblast cells with certain cannabinoids extracted from cannabis. Fibroblasts are a type of cell found in the connective tissue of the body’s organs, where they produce proteins such as collagen. Dermal fibroblasts exist within the dermis layer of skin which are responsible for generating connective tissue and allowing the skin to recover from injury.”
That acquisition is a nice market greeting, but it’s only one of 21 assets the company has a stake in, has licensed, or has financed. The full list of CannaRoyalty’s assets, gathered under the darkness of their private equity days, is as follows:
- BAS Research: developing pharma-grade cannabis medications, and offering branded testing services; advanced tissue culture and genetics, ailment-specific research and product development (convertible loan)
- Bodhi Research: trialing cannabis use for concussion and post-concussive syndrome (seed capital investment/equity position)
- GreenRock Botanicals: vape pens/cartridges (100% equity)
- Soul Sugar Kitchen: “gourmet-quality” cannabis edibles (100% equity)
- Lucy’s Pre-rolls: machine-rolled joints
- Rockets Mini Pre-Rolls: single-use pre-rolls
- Rich Extracts: licensed lab producing distillates, shatter and rosin concentrates (term sheet for joint venture)
- DermaLeaf Skincare: cannabis-infused lotions for pain relief (majority equity)
- Best Buds Animal Health: CBD dog treats (100% equity)
- MUV Products: delivery systems such as transdermal patches, metered-dose inhalers and rechargeable vape pens (royalty on gross revenues)
- Stokes Confections: cannabis edibles (exclusive licensing in WA, OR, AZ, Canada)
- AbsoluteXtracts: processing extracts (licensing in WA, Canada)
- Care By Design: CBD in sprays, gelcaps, vaping products and edibles (licensing in WA, Canada)
- Resolve Digital Health: proprietary smart tech inhalers utilizing Bluetooth tech
- DreamCatcher Labs: large-scale mass-market filling systems and sealed extract cartridges (100% equity)
- Wagner Dimas: innovative equipment and proprietary processes for raw cannabis
- AltoTerra: subsidiary Cascadia Holdings maintains turnkey facilities for licensed cannabis companies (royalty on gross revenue)
- AltMed: pharma industry-based science and biz knowhow
- Eureka Management Services: operates the Magnolia Wellness Centre in Oakland, CA, a dispensary with 30,000 registered patients (equity stake and convertible loan)
- Three Leaf Holdings: advanced logistics (royalty on gross revenue)
CRZ’s strategy is to collect a piece (or all or the IP or the branding) of multiple verticals, from license holders in multiple states in the US, allowing them to take those brands and IP and technologies and cross-pollinate them to build truly national cannabis companies.
As an example, buying into a vape product in Oregon allows them to take that vape product to California for a license holder with a dispensary, who may have an edibles brand that can be shifted back to Oregon, and Washington, and Arizona, and ultimately Canada, where Aphria has a substantial first look deal with the company.
Want to know more?
Well, that voice in the background you’re hearing now is myself and Marc Lustig talking about the company. Enjoy.
— Chris Parry
With file by Bo Ramone. Podcast editing by Gaalen EngenDisclaimer: ALWAYS DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH and consult with a licensed investment professional before making an investment. This communication should not be used as a basis for making any investment.